Monday, March 10, 2014

Off Roading

This weekend, since it was nice, I thought I would drive through the main streets and see if I could find any spots that were hangouts for the locals. A good amount of people were outside but none were very congregated to one place. That is, except for the park. People of all ages were in the park between Curtis Ave and Pennington enjoying the nice weather.
I was not trying to appear creepy so I avoided taking pictures of people. But I did want to explore a little further then I ever have. Pretty sure there were points in my adventure that I was "trespassing."
You probably remember seeing this on our way into Fairfield on our drive through. This is the old location of the FMC Corp, what is now the location for the trash incinerator.

As you can see, even though they say that work has started on building the incinerator, the lot remains empty.

This picture and the one below are signs I've driven past many times but never stopped to read them. If you look closely at the bottom right sign you can see the millions of dollars being put into the Waste Water Treatment Facility and where it comes from


These two images (above and below) were taken on Asiatic Avenue, right down the street from the Waste Water Treatment Facility. This and one other building are all that stand on this property which runs up to the water. The lower picture shows the dirt, smog, and mess that industry causes.


In the direct center you can see the top of the water tower that sits next to the Filbert Street Garden. This view is from Fairfield Road in Wagners Point.

Tony's Diner was surrounded by empty lots and storage tanks on Vera Street. I'm looking into the years it was opened and operating.

The images with street signs are the two instances  in which I felt like I was trespassing. Although the streets are clearly still marked as public roads, they are shut off in many parts and there is little to no pavement on any of the back roads in Fairfield. The image above is at the corner of Tate and Brady. The image below is at the corner of Tate and Carbon. I was driving around just snapping pictures and did not even realize that both images were on Tate, I was turning around and around because of the damaged roads and barriers. Hint for anyone who wants to take this drive, don't do it unless you own or can borrow an SUV, I'm honestly surprised that I got out of there with no damage to my car.


 This house looks like it was quite nice in earlier years but now its state of disrepair makes it look like the scene of a horror film.

No comments:

Post a Comment