Monday, February 10, 2014

Ode to Fairfield

My capstone paper revolved around the WWII shipbuilding industry in Fairfield and how it affected the local residents as well as the community as a whole. For the duration of this semester I would like to keep Fairfield as my main focus, but this time around I would like to see what I can find so that I may better understand the environmental and food aspect of this community. I would like to look in to the use of gardens within the area as well as the presence, or lack there of, of grocery stores. I would like to discover whether the gardens and local food stores had any effect on the community and if they possibly helped the community thrive. 

Having done prior research on the Fairfield area, I find many connections with the Love Canal debacle. In both situations they set themselves up for failure. If you know something is so incredibly bad that it has to be disposed of in such a manner, as with Love Canal, then who in their right mind decides to put a community on top of it? Fairfield did similar things, knowing they were zoned for heavy industry they went ahead and built homes within spiting distance of dangerous plants. I researched industrial accidents in the area and there were quite a few times in which the was an accident at the plant that directly effected residents, yet they did nothing to try and fix this problem. While Baybrook does not sit quite as close as Fairfield to the industry, they are still being greatly impacted by it. While on the tour in 2012, as well as many other trips I took to the area, I was repulsed by the smell of sewage. There is currently a waste water treatment facility on the peninsula that has a stench that not only hovers over the area in which it operates; but also is pushed out into the neighboring communities, including but not limited to Brooklyn and Curtis Bay. This sewage as well as other waste is not safe for human interaction so they pump or dump it where someone has declared it to be much safer to handle. To bad that idiot doesn't have to wake up every morning in the middle of it all, maybe then he'd gain a better understanding of how these communities have seemingly been looked over all these years.


This is all that is left of what used to be a great place to live.
Weedon Street in Fairfield

No comments:

Post a Comment